Richland Village was once served by three famous railroads! The Pennsylvania Railroad (West Jersey and Seashore Railroad) on their high speed electrified line between Camden and Atlantic City (via Newfield), the Reading Company (Atlantic City Railroad) on their steel speedway between Camden and Cape May City (via Winslow Junction and Tuckahoe), and later, the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines. All Pennsylvania Railroad and Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines trains operating to Atlantic City (via Newfield), and all Pennsylvania Railroad, Reading Company and Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines trains operating to the coastal resort communities between Ocean City and Cape May City passed through Richland! In June of 1933, the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Reading Company merged their southern New Jersey operations to form the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines (PRSL). On April 1, 1976, the PRSL became a part of Conrail, who continues to operate freight rail service through Richland Village to Beesley's Point. Local passenger service to Richland ended on September 28, 1935, and the last time that a regularly-scheduled passenger train passed through Richland was on October 2, 1981. On October 8, 2005, Cape May Seashore Lines inaugurated regularly-scheduled excursion service between Richland Village and Tuckahoe Village, marking the first time that a passenger train stopped in Richland Village in 70 years! The present Richland Village passenger station, along with a crossing watchman's shanty, are situated in the same location as the original structures, which were removed circa 1965 (the original passenger station), and during the 1930's (the original crossing watchman's shanty). The only remnant of the Pennsylvania Railroad's line through Richland is one (of the original two) concrete bridge abutment that carried the Pennsylvania's double track electrified line over the Reading Company's double track line. This structure is situated a short distance north of the present Richland Village passenger station.


Tuckahoe Village was once served by two famous railroads! The Reading Company (Atlantic City Railroad) on their steel speedway between Camden and Cape May City (via Winslow Junction), and later, the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines. Pennsylvania Railroad trains (operating via a trackage rights agreement over the Reading Company's line) passed through but did not stop at Tuckahoe. Situated at the junction of the Cape May and Ocean City Branches, Tuckahoe was the most important junction on the Cape May Branch for over 100 years! All Reading Company, Pennsylvania Railroad and Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines trains operating to the coastal resort communities of Ocean City, Strathmere, Sea Isle City, Avalon, Stone Harbor, Wildwood and Cape May City passed through Tuckahoe! In the summer of 1927, near the high point of activity, there were eleven Reading Company and nine Pennsylvania Railroad scheduled "through" round trips on weekdays and Saturdays. On Sundays, both railroads had eight "through" round trips. Additionally, during the summer, there were extra trains chartered for private parties, such as church and fraternal organizations. In June of 1933, the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Reading Company merged their southern New Jersey operations to form the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines (PRSL). Tuckahoe remained busy even after the merger. PRSL "through" service to Camden continued until January 14, 1966, and to Philadelphia until September 30, 1969, requiring the remaining passengers to change trains at Lindenwold. On April 1, 1976, the PRSL became a part of Conrail, who continues to operate freight rail service through Tuckahoe Village to Beesley's Point. Passenger service between Lindenwold and Ocean City ended on August 13, 1981, and to Cape May City on October 2, 1981. On October 8, 2005, Cape May Seashore Lines inaugurated regularly-scheduled excursion service between Richland Village and Tuckahoe Village, marking the first time that a passenger train stopped in Tuckahoe Village in 24 years! In addition to its passenger excursion service, Cape May Seashore Lines operates freight rail service between Tuckahoe Village and Cape May City, interchanging with Conrail at Tuckahoe Village. Three original, restored structures of the former Reading Company complement the historic charm of Tuckahoe Village. They are: the passenger station (built in 1897), the interlocking tower that controlled the switches and signals (built in 1906), and the steel water tank that was used to supply water for steam locomotives (built in 1922).